Tuesday, October 9, 2012

sour cream for everyone!

Hey there! 

On Sunday I had another workshop.  Yay me!

This time I didn't spill or ruin anything.  Yay me!

But I did forget 2 items.  Dang it! (And there was one other thing I messed up on the card we made but I'll tell you about that in a few days.  It would be so unlike me to have things go perfect.)

Lucky for me the hostess had one thing and the next door neighbor had the other thing.  So it all worked out.

Remember the sour cream containers that were so popular sooooooooooo long ago?   Well we made one.  A pumpkin one.


Jack of all Trades and Teeny Tiny Wishes set.  Tangerine tango, old olive and black Stazon inks.  Howlstooth and Scarington DSP, big shot, window frames framelits, black taffeta ribbon, word window punch, crimper and 1/8" circle punch.

Isn't it cute?  Love that crooked little smile.


Just the perfect size for some Skittles or M&M's or gummy worms or..............

I remember when I was first taught how to make one that I had never seen a sour cream container quite like this.  I guess some fast food places use this design.   I'm sure if I had a mind to I could have figured it out on my own but I though maybe some of you are like me and just don't have a mind to.  So I thought I'd do a quick little tutorial on how to make them. 

Lets begin shall we?



Mine uses a 5"x6" piece of paper.


Turn it over and lay a thin line of glue down the short end.  I used my beloved Tombow Multi glue.  This was actually too much.  A little goes a long way.


Roll it up.  You can rub the paper on the edge of your desk or bone folder to get it going in the right direction first to help you out.

One of the ladies at the workshop had the idea of using a toilet paper tube to use as a form and then you could just slide it off.



Line up your seam off to one side and stick a little glue in there and pinch closed.



Get it?



Remember your crimper?  That tool that is collecting dust in your bottom drawer?  Get it out and crimp the end just 2 or 3 clicks.



Cool eh? 



This would be the time to fill it with candy.......or jewelry......or a gift card (you might need to start out with a bigger size piece of cardstock).....or tickets......or money..............

Then squish the open end the opposite way of the closed end and lay some glue in there.......



and pinch it closed and crimp it.  Now you've got a nifty shape.



People will be in wonder at your cleverness.  Then just punch a hole in the end and tie a cute tag on and you're all good to go.



These are so easy and you can do them for any kind of occasion.  Just think, showers, wedding favors, you could make 25 of them and turn them into an Advent calendar, classroom treats......

Try using different papers too.  Vellum makes a really fancy looking one.  Its easy to make them bigger or smaller too.  Just start with a different size rectangle.


Okay, I've got one last pic to show you.  I was working in the garden........I know you've been wanting a garden update huh?.............and I saw that the top of this carrot was good size so I pulled it.  It wasn't fully grown yet but check it out:


HA!  A 3 legged carrot!  Oh my, why is it so easy for me to get a kick out of veggies.  Remember "Carrots in Love"?





Okay, I'll stop there.  Thanks so much for stopping in and hanging out.  You give me warm fuzzies........which is different and much better than the hot flashes.

Blessings, b.

1 comment:

mary noble said...

Thanks for all the great pix on the sour cream container - now I really understand how to do it so just might make some up for my classes :-) That carrot you posted, I swear if you look at it with the greens at the top, it is a one-eyed lady monster crossing her 3 legs lol. I knew you would get a kick out of that! Mary